02 August 2011

The Bitter Woman









We may not be aware of it but every encounter with another being, effects us in some way or the other.

This is why the ancients stressed upon the company we keep. Good, noble and loving people enrich us and some not so good people tend to impoverish us.

With good fortune, it was on the auspicious day of Gur Poornima (full moon) at the ashram of Baba Ishwar Singh in Dehradun (India) that my wife Mohini and I met a spiritual man, Kulwinder Singh who makes a living by driving a taxi in NewYork city.

Contrary to perception, truly spiritual individuals are egoless people, often witty, deep in character and exude peace and joy. A spiritual person can impart positive energy to us if we are receptive. Their presence always leads to an awakening, like the petals of the bud blooming into a flower.

The nature of Kulwinder's work brought him into contact with many people. Passengers drifted into his life for a few minutes to a couple of hours.  He shared this as one of many experiences, on how his life had been transformed by the teachings of the Guru.
__________________

One day a lady got into Kulwinder's cab. She was quarrelling  with someone at the other end of her cellular phone.  She was in a terrible mood and and snapped an address at Kulwinder . Soon after they started they got caught in a traffic jam. The woman turned her wrath on Kulwinder, she was very unpleasant, and disrespectful. She vented all her anger on Kulwinder, blaming him for deliberately delaying her by moving so slowly through the heavy traffic. She then resumed her quarrel with the unfortunate person on the phone. This was repeated several times during the long drive. Kulwinder remained unaffected by the woman's disgraceful behaviour.

About 10 minutes before they reached their destination the woman hung up her phone. Brooding for a while before holding her sullen face in her hands, she began to cry.

When they arrived Kulwinder said “ Miss we are here” . The woman just sat unmoving in her seat. Kulwinder reminded her a couple of times that they had arrived at their destination.

When they arrived Kulwinder said “ Miss we are here” . The woman just sat unmoving in her seat. Kulwinder reminded her a couple of times that they had arrived at their destination.

She looked up and started crying again and said “ I am sorry, I abused you, I know my behaviour was unacceptable. You may not know it but I am not a bad person, and normally do not behave in this way. Its just ....... .  However I am very curious as to, why did you not react and say something back?”

Kulwinder replied “ Miss, I do not know what your problem is and why you behaved in the way you did. I cannot change you or your circumstances but I can definitely manage my response. If you permit me I can tell you what I believe in and maybe you will understand why I did not react”

The woman still sniffing requested Kulwinder to say more.
______________________

“Let me first tell you a story about Mahatma Buddha” Kulwinder said;

One day as he approached a village, Mahatma Buddha met an aggressive man who was in a foul mood. He started abusing Lord Buddha, who merely stood there listening to the man for quite a while as the insolent man went on and on with his acidic tirade.  At last, exhausted and emptied of his toxic anger the man sat down.

Mahatma Buddha politely asked " If you have finished, may I proceed on my journey?"
______________________


The foul mouthed man looked at the Mahatma in astonishment and said; “ I have been so bitter in my behaviour towards you and abusive in my conduct, yet you just looked at me smilingly. Are you deaf, a coward or mad? “

Mahatma Buddha said “ I have just come from the neighbouring village. As I was departing from that village, a kind man presented me a tray of wonderful sweets. I took the tray, and I shared the sweets with other residents of the village and everyone was happy. Unfortunately my brother, you gave me something which I cannot share with anyone else, therefore I cannot accept what you have showered on me. You must take what you have brought here for me, back with you.”

Kulwinder told the woman “ Had I accepted what you gave me, I would have shared the misery with the next passenger, and whoever I came in contact with for the rest of the day. Imagine the pain and anguish I would have inflicted on my family when I returned home. Forget me for a while , think what will happen to you when you walk around with this toxic anger? How will be your behaviour with your loved ones and your family?”

The woman started sobbing uncontrollably and after a few minutes said “please forgive me and thank you for your words of wisdom”

Kulwinder Singh, replied “ It is God you must thank for his great mercy and kindness and my Guru for his teachings which I imbibe.”

* Guru Poornima is also the auspicious day on which lord Buddha gave His first sermon at Sarnath (Uttar Pradesh, India).
* Mahatma means great soul.

                                                                 

14 comments:

  1. Shekhar Naik said;

    Brilliant Gurvinder; as always.
    I wonder why you dont write a book - if the Depak Chopras of this world can make millions peddling the trash they do - the genius you are you will make X times over.

    Oh I do understand you dont need the moolah - not to worry I'll step in to take care of it -

    Cheers
    Shekhar
    shekharn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chan Chowdhary said;

    Gurvinder,
    I have seen much better articles from you. You seem to be slipping.
    Rgds
    Chan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chan,

    You may be right that some of the articles may have been better. However I am pleased to inform you that the article touched the hearts of many and I got a fantastic response.

    I do appreciate your feedback for my strength is friends and critics like you.

    Rgds
    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gurinder Cheema said;

    Thanks a zillion. God Bless.

    gpscheema@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahir Meher-Homji said,

    Fabulous as always my friend.
    I am looking forward to seeing you more than once when I visit India next.
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vinay Goankar said;

    Hello Gurvinder ji,

    Very nice piece. I felt really nice going through it.
    Regards
    Vinay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Phiroz Poonawala said;

    Thanks Gurvinder.

    Satsriakal.
    Phiroz
    drphirozp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harbans Khanduja said;

    Rainy,
    Thank you for sharing this email with us. I cannot tell you how much it will also change my life.
    Not that I do not practice it but at times I do forget.
    I plan to read this mail for a few days continuously and share it with friends also.

    Thank you ever so much.
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear HB Veerji,

    Sat Kartar. As usual you are too kind.

    I pray that you will always bless me. Your kind words and thoughts are precious to me and give me courage to write fearlessly and without shame.

    Love & regards
    Rainy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yash Ajaney said;

    Wonderful story with a deep message. Thanks for sharing
    Yash
    nexgenfuel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. shekhar naik [shekharn@gmail.com] siad;

    Brilliant Gurvinder; as always.
    i wonder why you dont write a book - if the Depak Chopras of this world can make millions peddling the trash they do - the genius you are you will make X times over.
    Oh i do understand you dont need the moolah - not to worry
    I'll step in to take care of it -

    Cheers
    Shekhar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Madhu Pillai said;

    Brilliant and thanks for sharing.
    Warm Regards

    madhu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gautam said;
    Sir...tears rolled down my eyes reading this

    May god bless you

    Gautam Hoare

    ReplyDelete

Entrepreneurs, professionals and entrefessional

I will digress here to explain my analysis of the difference between entreprenuers professionals & entrefessionals.  I don't really...